MidEastWire.com Daily Iraq Monitor
Despite the more than 500 Arabic and Persian news outlets reporting stories from and about the Middle East, there is currently no affordable means for English speakers to gain access to much of this content. Mideastwire.com aims to close this gap by offering a daily email newsletter of concise, translated briefs from and about the Middle East.

Through a special arrangement with MidEastWire.com, we are able to reprint MidEastWire's "Daily Iraq Monitor" on this website. For more news from the Middle East, consider a paid subscription to MidEastWire.


November 27, 2005 - MidEastWire.com Daily Iraq Monitor

November 27, 2005

AL SHARQIYAH:

Unidentified gunmen attacked an Iraqi police patrol in the area of Al-Ghazaliyah in western Baghdad. Local residents said the members of the patrol, which came under machine gunfire, exchanged gunfire with the gunmen, as a result of which a policeman was martyred, two others were wounded, and a patrol vehicle was damaged.

Unidentified persons assassinated an officer in charge of a committee charged with investigating the death of 18 members of the banned Baath Party in the city of Karbala, southwest of the Iraqi capital. ... Four gunmen opened fire this morning on First Lieutenant Ali Jasim while on his way to work from his residence in the Al-Askari neighborhood.

Unidentified persons assassinated Bashar Shinawah Jabir, head of technical affairs at the Al-Rusafah Education Department in Baghdad.

Iraqi Border Guard forces have seized 11 vehicles carrying Arab fighters while trying to cross the border into Iraq coming from a neighbouring country, which Interior Minister Baqir Jabr Sulagh declined to name.

Sulagh told reporters today that a commander of the Border Guard forces informed him of the incident last night [November 26] and said that two other cars managed to escape and return to the place where they came from. The Iraqi minister said that the Iraqi government had started contacts with officials in the concerned country to arrest the escapees. Minister Sulagh did not reveal the names or nationalities of the fighters who had been arrested.

AL ARABIA:

Iraqi Interior Minister Bayan Jabr Sulagh today said he cancelled the military operation announced last week targeting the strongholds of insurgents. Sulagh's decision comes in response to a request by Arab League Secretary-General Amr Musa. Meanwhile, around 350 Iraqi soldiers, backed by US forces, launched a military operation in a bid to arrest suspects and seize weapons in Ba'qubah.

An Iraqi spokesman for these forces said that they had not face any resistance and that the forces arrested 15 persons suspected of planting explosives, attacking checkpoints, abducting and looting. - TV - Middle East, Middle East

 

 

©2004-2007 Dahr Jamail.
Web site by Jeff Pflueger Photo Media
All images, photos, pictures, photography and text are protected by United States and international copyright law. Any use including, but not limited to, reproduction, use on another website, copying and printing requires the permission of Dahr Jamail.
Find a Problem? Contact the Webmaster.